WVUteach is a unique collaboration between the Eberly College of Arts & Sciences and the College of Education & Human Services. Students earn degrees in their content areas (e.g. biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics) along with their eligibility for a teaching certification within 4 years. They take challenging science and mathematics coursework leading to a degree in a STEM major.
The curriculum is designed, so a variety of degree plans for STEM majors can lead to different licensures and STEM degrees. Degree plans can be customized for different student needs.
- ARSC 120: Step 1: Inquiry Approaches to Teaching
- ARSC 220: Step 2: Inquiry-Based Lesson Design
- UTCH 221: Knowing and Learning in Math and Science
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Test*
- MATH 318: Perspectives in Math and Science
- BIOL/CHEM/PHYS 376: Research Methods
- MATH 376: Foundations, Functions and Modeling***
- UTCH 222: Classroom Interactions in Math and Science
- UTCH 420: Project-Based Instruction
- Tests Required for Specific Licensure Areas****
- Preliminary Portfolio Submitted
- UTCH 430: Apprentice Teaching
- Principles of Learning and Teaching (5624) Praxis Test
- Submission of Final Portfolio
- Secondary Education Certification
*This test in ONLY required if you attained below a 25 on the ACT, below a 26 on the ACT enhanced (effective November 1989), below a 1035 on the SAT, below a 1125 on the re-centered SAT (effective April 1995) , and/or below a 1170 on the revised SAT using the combined Critical Reading and Math score (effective March 2005).
**MATH 318, BIOL/CHEM/PHYS 376, and MATH 376 are recommended to be taken at anytime between numbers 4 and 9.
***MATH 376 is only required for those pursuing mathematics licensure.
**** The Secondary Education/Content Endorsements test will be taken in one of the following areas: Biology (5235), Chemistry (5245), Chemistry and Physics (5245 and 5265), Earth and Space Science (5571), Mathematics (5161), and Physics (5265).