What is WVUteach?
WVUteach is designed to provide students the opportunity to explore the profession of teaching in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields in a hands-on way. In your very first semester in the program, you will have the opportunity to develop and teach a lesson in a local classroom.
WVUteach candidates complete a 27-30 credit hour course of study that includes early and frequent classroom experiences prior to their student teaching experience. WVUteach integrates all aspects of teaching into a holistic curriculum. Instructional methods are inquiry-based with an emphasis on active student learning, integrated technology, and project-based instruction.
Once you complete the program, you will have fulfilled the qualifications to be eligible for secondary teaching certification by the West Virginia Department of Education in tandem with your 4-year STEM degree.
Learn more about the program by reading through the information below and elsewhere on our website, or by speaking with a WVUteach advisor. Call 304-293-5030 to set up an appointment.
Teaching changes lives. It's a rewarding profession that makes a difference. If you've ever considered teaching, WVUteach is an innovative program that fits into and complements your four-year bachelor's degree - one degree, two career options. You won't just be investing in your own future, but the future of others, too.
Who should try WVUteach?
- Students interested in teaching mathematics grades 5-12 or science grades 9-12
- STEM majors wanting an extra career option with their degree
- Students with five or more semesters remaining before graduation
What are the benefits of WVUteach?
- Early and continuous field experiences
- Support from experienced former middle and high school math and science teachers
- Streamlined and compact four-year STEM degree plans
- Inquiry-based, hands-on instruction
Did you know…?
- There is a shortage of secondary mathematics and science teachers in West Virginia
- It is a myth that teaching is a low-pay profession: Entry level teaching salaries (with a Bachelor's degree) average $32,675-$36,400 in West Virginia. With master’s and specialist’s degree plans that can be completed while you are teaching, this can be quickly increased!